Nightmare Before Christmas, the story of Jack the Pumpkin King of Halloweenland who just wants something new. Getting tired of the same old scares he sets off to find something new and stumbles into ChristmasTown where he decides he's going to make Christmas this year.
For whatever reason this movie captivates me every time I watch it. It's an amazing example of stop motion animating and I've learned enough about stop motion to know that it's very hard to make and this movie is even harder because, since it's a musical of sorts, the characters' mouths have to move in a way that makes it look like they're not only talking, but singing. To me, this movie brings up a very interesting, hard to describe feeling. I could watch this over and over, never get bored, and come up with new details that I haven't noticed before. It's a great movie for all ages, absolutely nothing scary, but younger kids won't GET it. My dad tries to make me see a message in this movie (always be yourself etc...) but to me it's just a great movie about a very curious skeleton who's getting bored with his same old life. If you haven't seen it, you should. I can't guarantee that you will love it, or like it even, because it seems that I'm the only one in my family that enjoys it. Almost everyone else I've talked to just thinks it's extremely weird.
Every Avenue is a band that I've heard a lot about and finally decided to check out. I read a few reviews one of which compared them to Fall Out Boy. The article said that "if you hate how mainstream FOB has become, check out Every Avenue..." going on to say how they are very similar. That's rubbish. They are so different, it's not even funny. Where FOB uses harsher, louder guitars and sweet innocent sounding vocals singing almost nonsense lyrics and sound so different than any band I've ever heard, Every Avenue's music sounds...well, common. A lot of Every Avenue's music does sound the same, I won't lie, some of their songs stand out. I will admit that their second album (Picture Perfect) is a lot better than their first (Shhh...Just Go With It). The highlights of their second album (the one I bought) are Tell Me I'm A Wreck, Girl Like That, Saying Goodbye, and, my favorite, The Story Left Untold. Those are the songs that sound most different and not as overused as the others which, admittedly, could be any song played on emo/punk radio. If you really like these songs, than yes, get the rest of the album-they might just be your new favorite band. But if you think they're just ok, don't bother with the rest.
Luv,
Liz
p.s. I would compare Every Avenue with bands like All Time Low or Boys Like Girls.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love & be loved in return" are lyrics from the song Nature Boy by Eden Ahbez....and i think that it was in the movie Moulin Rouge :)
ReplyDelete